Departments‎ > ‎

General Assistance

In order to receive Assistance, you must apply in person. You may apply at the General Assistance office in the Town Hall on Wednesday (unless posted otherwise) between 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.

When you apply, you must bring:

  1. Your most recent bills and receipts for your rent or mortgage, heating fuel, electricity, food, medical expenses.
  2. Name and address of your landlord.
  3. Check stubs, TANF statements or other proof of household income of all people in the household with income.
  4. Canceled checks, receipts or other documents that show how you have spent any income you or any persons received during the last 30 days.
  5. Your driver's license or other identification.
  6. Your social security number and the social security numbers of all persons in the household.
  7. A doctor's statement if you are ill, disabled, or not able to work.
  8. Financial statements from checking or savings accounts.
  9. Insurance policies.
  10. Title and registration for any car, truck, or recreational vehicle you own.
Remember, it is up to you to show that you are eligible. If you do not bring in all of the information that has been asked for, the administrator may have to deny your request for assistance until you provide the necessary information.

When you apply for General Assistance you are required to give full and accurate information. Any person who does not tell the truth and who knowingly and willfully makes a false representation of material facts in order to attempt to receive General Assistance will be disqualified for 120 days and may be found guilty of committing a Class E crime. A Class E crime carries a penalty of up to $1,000 fine and one year in jail.

Link to site about General Assistance: